3wood face alignment

Any and all discussions on fitting, shafts, grips, swing weight and matters for the do-it-yourselfers are open for discussion

Moderators: parteeboy, ssp, jick, w2, xxio, Jack aMMo, temiatwork, weed_whacker, judaschylde, leftys59, golpher, Dandy, tjgato, qt_arvin

3wood face alignment

Postby longtom » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi Guys,

I have an RBZ 3wood thats sits about 1-2degrees closed at address...

Is it possible to have this readjusted/aligned so that it will naturally be square at even a degree open?

Such that it will sit like the TP version when addressed.

thanks!
longtom

Re: 3wood face alignment

Postby Shambles » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:25 pm

longtom wrote:Hi Guys,

I have an RBZ 3wood thats sits about 1-2degrees closed at address...

Is it possible to have this readjusted/aligned so that it will naturally be square at even a degree open?

Such that it will sit like the TP version when addressed.

thanks!

You have 2 options:

1. Sell the club to me dirt cheap or free.

2. Turn the club at address until it is reasonably square to the direction you want, adjust your grip on the club, fit your body and stance to the club and swing normally. The ball will fly reasonably straight with a tendency to a slight draw unless you have a bad swing. :)

Of the two options, I prefer you exercise the first one, preferably free. :)

Shambles
Shambles

Postby xxio » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:09 pm

I've tried shimming .335 shafts at a different angle into .350 bores in drivers to change face angle.

It helped a little, Not a lot but enough to be noticed. I've never tried it on a fairway wood.

You have to find a clubmaker who knows what angle to insert it at, even then you won't know if it is enough for you.

There's a reason I still carry a 10year old 4w, best face and lie angle for me. The anser fw is close because of the secret setting that works for me, it seems a little light however.
xxio

Postby xxio » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:47 pm

Btw if you are having trouble with the lefts with the RBZ. in my experience it is not merely the face angle that makes it prone to hooking.

The upright lie angle which is exagerated further by a longer shafted sets up a recipe for a hook. I had the same problem with the RBZ driver. I now play it at 45" and have had less issues with the lefts.

My dad chokes down on his Stage 2 to address that problem.
xxio

Postby longtom » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:33 am

Hi,

Yes I have a hooking tendency and the closed face psychologically add to that :lol:

I'll just try to grip down and see if I can get more control, Or adjust my grip until it sits square although at times I tend to regrip before
hitting the ball so it goes back to the closed position...

If all doesnt work, maybe I'll consider your first option! :D

Thanks again!
longtom

Postby Shambles » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:26 pm

longtom wrote:Hi,

Yes I have a hooking tendency and the closed face psychologically add to that :lol:

I'll just try to grip down and see if I can get more control, Or adjust my grip until it sits square although at times I tend to regrip before
hitting the ball so it goes back to the closed position...

If all doesnt work, maybe I'll consider your first option! :D

Thanks again!

Nasty, making me hope.

Squaring the club at address has often worked for me though you do have to also make a little effort to avoid hitting too much with your right hand at impact. You can also check the face angle by glueing a tee to a magnetic marker and sticking the assembly to the face, just to see if there is something else you have to also deal with. It's often best to understand the problem before applying a solution, especially if the solution involves rebuilding the club.

I don't know that club so I am assuming it's just another draw oriented club. Kindly update us on your findings. Those things have a significant toe swing that is too often made even stronger by leaving them in a closed position at address. It can really be reduced much by simply squaring or even opening the club slightly at address. The tricky part is making yourself swing normally.

Shambles
Shambles

3wood face alignment

Postby parteeboy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:14 pm

xxio wrote:Btw if you are having trouble with the lefts with the RBZ. in my experience it is not merely the face angle that makes it prone to hooking.

The upright lie angle which is exagerated further by a longer shafted sets up a recipe for a hook. I had the same problem with the RBZ driver. I now play it at 45" and have had less issues with the lefts.

My dad chokes down on his Stage 2 to address that problem.

The longer shaft and the more upright lie angle is a factor for sure with these all the Rocketballz series.
Cleveland DST Tour 10.5°
TM R9 3-wood 15°
Kasco Power Tornado 44 19°
MP-68 4-PW
TM xFT 52.09° & 58.12°
Bettinardi C-02h or Odyssey Tri-Ball SRT 33"
parteeboy

Return to Clubmakers' Forum